Tuesday, 1 September 2015

The Benefits Of Knitting


Sometimes life gets a little frantic and we all need something to calm us down. I've been seeing a lot of colouring books for adults promoting mindfulness and calm, and it got me thinking about craft and how great it is as a hobby. I recently saw an info-graphic by Wool And The Gang from a survey they undertook about knitting. The results showed that 88% of knitters felt less stressed when they knit and knitting helped 40% of people fight depression. Those results do not surprise me one bit! When you knit you find time for yourself and concentrate your time into creating something beautiful. Your energy is focussed on one task and it helps you forget about the stresses of the day.

Not only that, but the satisfaction that it provides can't be rivalled! You feel so great when you can say "I made that!", or when you can give someone a present that is so special and unique because it was made by you. The stats from Wool And The Gang also stated that 36% of knitters were taught by their Mum's. What an amazing way to bond, hey? Unfortunately I didn't take advantage of my Grandma's amazing knitting skills, but I had YouTube to teach me. Not so heartwarming, but the wealth of videos on the internet are an incredible resource for people wanting to learn a new craft.


I have been spending my evenings curled up with Netflix, my most recent watch being 'Frances Ha' (such a great watch!), and knitting up this little number. This is the Tala Tank Top pattern from Wool And The Gang. It's a really great pattern to knit up if you are a beginner and want to make something simple that looks great. I'm creating this teal tank to take down to End Of The Road festival with me on Thursday. I've only got a couple of rows to go, so hopefully it'll be ready in time!

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I'm surprised by those statistics either. Your mind drifts off and all the things you were worrying about tend to disappear as you focus on what you're making.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)