Tuesday, 21 July 2015

DIY Denim Dress


I have been working on another little project in my sewing class that I wanted to share with you today. I have progressed from skirts to dresses and I have managed to make myself a little denim dress. She is lined with the most amazing paisley fabric (I should have made it reversible really) and I love her so. I have seen so many denim dresses on the high street recently (see my picks below if you don't fancy attempting one yourself) so I had plenty of inspiration to keep my creative juices flowing. I have been learning how to alter basic sewing patterns, so I managed to turn an a-line shift dress into a smock. 

This project has also helped me perfect my zip skills, so I thought I would do a little how to for you all. I think people find the idea of putting a zip in quite daunting, but have no fear, it is easy peasy. Have a little read below of my tips and tricks to get it right every time.  

1. Miss Selfridge 2. Zara 3. Topshop

Okay, zips. Here's the low down. This little tutorial is about inserting concealed zips, they are the ones that look invisible. When you're buying zips make sure you pick the right one for your project. You will need a sewing machine for this as hand sewing won't take the strain that you'll put on it when you use it. Make sure you change your sewing machine foot to a zipper foot, thread your machine up with matching thread, and turn the machine on!

1. Put your garment's right sides facing upwards. With the zip closed, pin the left side of the zip to the left side of the fabric. Make sure your raw edges and right sides of the zip and fabric are together.

2. Tack your zip in place. This might seem boring but it will make it so much easier when it comes to sewing on your machine.

3. Now it's time to sew your zip on your machine. When your sewing in your zip make sure it is open (unzipped). The general rule is pin with the zip closed and sew with it open. Sew down the side of the zip on your machine, as close to the teeth as possible. When sewing around the end you might not be able to get as close, but don't worry too much as you won't be able to see the first few centimetres. Just be as neat as you can be! Make sure you back tack the ends to secure them in place.

4. Now all you have to do is do the other side. Do it in exactly the same way, and you're done!

I absolutely love sewing in zips, and it really makes your garment look so much more professional. Hope this little tutorial helped any of you who are looking to tackle dress making at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)