Saturday, 2 November 2013

DIY Knitted Poppy

Today I thought I would provide you all with a free knitting pattern to make these adorable little poppies. I learnt this pattern from my boss at work as she sells them to raise money for the British Legion. I think they are so cute and last a lot longer than the paper ones. If you do make one for yourself please make sure to donate as well, as it is for a such a great cause. Or, even better, make lots and sell them to family and friends and donate all the money to the British Legion. They only take about 15 minutes to knit but look really effective!

 Knitting Pattern:

Cast on 36 stitches
Row 1: Knit across the row.
Row 2: Purl across the row.
Row 3: Knit.
Row 4: Purl.
Row 5: Knit 3 stitches and then twist the right needle all the way around so there is a twist in the row (this creates the petal effect), knit 6 stitches and then twist again. Knit 6 stitches and then twist...carry on doing this until you reach the end of the row. You should end up with 6 twists on your row.
Row 6: Purl across the row.
Row 7: Knit 2 stitches together all the way along the row.
Row 8: Purl across the row.
Row 9: Knit 2 stitches together all the way along the row. This should leave you with 9 stitches on your needle.

Leave about 15cm of wool at the end and cut. Thread the wool onto a needle and thread it through the 9 remaining stitches. Pull it together so the two ends meet. Stitch the two ends together using the remaining wool and tie off. Stitch a black button in the middle of your poppy and attach a safety pin to the back.


What do you think? I keep getting lots of complements about my poppy, so I hope you do to! If you need a bit of help or have any questions, just leave us a comment and I'll make sure to reply. If you do make one, please tweet us a picture! My boss and I would love to see them.
Lots of love,
Kendall x

4 comments:

  1. TYhis is really beautiful!
    I wish I could knit.
    Kelly from DayDreamsDaisyChains.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is lovely, seemingly easy tutorial and perfectly timed for rememberance sunday in few weeks :) I love the idea of knitting but struggle with finding the time and picking a project suitable for my beginners level as opposed to what i'd like to make! will be taking a look around to see what else i have missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS! THank you so much for sharing, ive just knitted one up and found it much easier than I thought I would! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cn I print this pattern I think this is a great project for my craft group

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)