Friday, 10 August 2012

DIY Up-cycled Furniture

This was a little experiment of mine, which I thought went rather well! Because of it's success I thought I would share it with you lovely people. We have recently repainted one of the rooms in our house and brought a new bed for it and generally just done it up. a
After my sister and I put the new white bed together (we were very proud that it only took us 2 hours!!) I thought the old dark wood furniture just didn't look right and ruined the feel of the room. Because of this I took it upon myself to up-cycle the furniture and give it a new lease of life. 
This is how it did it:
Step 1: Start with your old furniture and unscrew all the handles.
Step 2: Sand all of the surfaces down so the wood is bare. Don't be tempted to skip this step out, if you don't sand your furniture down the paint won't take properly and you'll end up with it looking very shabby and not very chic!!
Step 3: Paint on your wood primer evenly. I used a Dulux primer but there are other brands to choose from. Leave to dry.
Step 4: Apply your paint. We used Eggshell in white because it left us with a nice finish that wasn't too glossy and shiny. The number of coats of paint you will have to apply to your furniture will depend on the colour of the furniture originally. I did 3 coats of Eggshell and it covered it well.
If you want to create a more distressed look on your furniture, after all your paint has dried run the corners down with some sand paper. 
What do you think? Has anyone else tried up-cycling furniture? If so we would love to see it!
Have a fab weekend :)
Love Kendall 
xox

14 comments:

  1. Lovely job, looks really profesh! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My nails did take a bit of a battering with the sand paper though- I think it was worth it :) xx

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! :) I'm hoping to do this to some of my old wooden furniture..I was thinking of painting it lilac but that might be too much!

    Love Ellen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! No, I think that would look ace! When you are done, tweet us a picture, we'd love to see how it works out :) Thanks for your comment! xx

      Delete
  3. It looks gorgeous! I've wanted to do this on my furniture for ages and have been asking people how they did theirs so this post is perfect!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! Like something you would purchase in Ikea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the look we were going for! And we did it for a fraction of the price :) x

      Delete
  5. it looks much better now! lovely DIY :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this it looks amazing, i really want to try it for myself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do, it's so satisfying when it's all done and is completely transformed! x

      Delete
  7. That must have taken forever D; it looks good though (: xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only took about 4 days in total, we think it was worth it though! :) xx

      Delete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)