Saturday, 18 August 2012

DIY Union Jack Cushion

With all the redecorating going on in our house at the moment I thought I would share with you one of my contributions. You see so much union jack print around nowadays and I wanted to give it a go! I'm not going to lie, this was a bit fiddly and I did nearly throw it out the window a few times, but I feel the hard work paid off. The only tricky bit is doing the design on the top and once you've got past that hurdle you are good to go. I think it would look quite nice in different colours, maybe done in pastels, if you give it a go we would love to see a picture :) 
HOW TO:
Step 1: You will need: material for your cushion cover, ribbon or extra material for your design, fabric scissors, tape measure, a cushion to cover, and a sewing machine. 
Step 2: Measure your cushion and cut your material accordingly. To make an envelope cushion cover, like the one I have made here, the material needs to overlap at the back by about 6 inches. You leave this open so you can pop your cushion inside. Also, remember to take your seam allowances into account when cutting your material. 
Step 3: Hem the edges of your material. You only need to hem the opening of your cushion because the sides will be sewn together and turned inside out.
Step 4: Find where the front/middle of your cushion is and pin your design on the front. I used 2 different colours of ribbon for my union jack design. Sew on with a sewing machine. 
Step 5: Turn right sides together and sew the sides up. Turn the right way round and stuff with your cushion. 


Lots of love,
Kendall
xox

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea, it looks really good!
    - Keyta x

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)