Wednesday, 8 August 2012

A 'Sweet' Set of Draws


This is such an easy and effective DIY and a great way yo recycle any old worn wooden furniture. These draws have been lurking in the garage for some time now since my sister left her university home so I thought I'd get my crafty hands on them before she noticed! I've spruced them up using wrapping paper on the front of the individual draws that matched the pink paint already used. There is lots of paper with cute union jack designs in shops at the moment which would look amazing too.



Following the steps above, all you need to do is:
1) Draw out the area you would like to cover using pencil on the back of the paper,
2) Cut it out,
3) and 4) Stick the paper down, I used ordinary PVA glue. Be really careful not get any air bubbles (Tip: use a ruler edge to smooth it out)
Leave the draws to dry and add extra glue to any corners that aren't flush the the surface.
5) After the glued surface is completely dry, use varnish to give it a shiny finish and make your handy work much more permanent and long lasting.

I picked up a small pot of Clear Gloss quick dry varnish from B&Q. Not a clue if it necessarily is the correct varnish to use for the job but it worked just fine for me! Also, the varnish remains quite tacky for some time so don't put the draws back together otherwise it might ruin your masterpiece! I left everything overnight before slotting the draws in.

(Just clocked the newspaper in this image below, Olympic fever is everywhere!) 







So pleased with the results to this DIY. I think I'm going to hunt down more wooden items and see if I can spread the magic! Maybe I'll sand down the wood for a more rustique look. 

Lots of love
Kate xxx

10 comments:

  1. This is so simple and easy, yet looks really pretty and nice :) great post!

    Sharna xo
    Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle and Thoughts Blog.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You!! Really appreciate receiving such lovely feedback :)

      Delete
  2. wow love this! xx

    armariodedanielle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We think it turned out rather well :) xx

      Delete
  3. Ohhh these are so gorgeous! :) Really love this DIY, as I do with all of them you post :)

    http://www.danielleyc.com/ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really wish we had another set so we could try out different patterns!! You are so kind, we also love reading your blog :) xx

      Delete
  4. Love your crafty posts, just to let you know that I've nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award, check out my post to find out more: http://intoruth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-versatile-blogger-award.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wonderful! Thank you so much, we sure will :) xx

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this post and this kind of thing i do it all the time, great post! I thought that i should notfiy you that my blog is no longer called rose dust x, it is now called Fashion Rhapsody and is now under the domain www.fashionrhapsody.com

    Thanks for following me, Rose x

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)